Great salespeople know that “out of sight is out of mind.” They keep customer relationships fresh by regularly meeting with their best customers. One way to keep in touch now that COVID 19 has limited face-to-face meetings is to simply make a phone call. But don’t call to make a sale. Call just to learn how your customer is doing and how COVID pandemic has changed their business.
Ask For Feedback
Keeping your customers happy requires good communication and feedback. Don’t be afraid to ask your customers how you are doing. You may find out some very valuable information—like why they keep using your services or products, or that they are unhappy with something that you need to fix ASAP. By speaking with your customers you can find out a lot about customer relationships. How do you think you are doing? Do your customers like you? Why do they keep using your service or business? Or why do they leave? Are you afraid to ask? Do you think that if you ask, you’ll get an ear-full?
What Should You Ask?
Are you wondering how to start the conversation? Here are a few questions to ask your good customers:
- How did your company originally select us as a supplier? (This reinforces their decision.)
- What do you like best about dealing with us? (Points to remember when prospecting.)
- If you could change anything to improve our relationship, what would it be? (Fix the problems immediately!)
- How can our company increase market share? (Good customers are eager to help and like to be asked for advice.)
- How does our company stack up against the competition? (You need to know this.)
- If you were the CEO of our company, how would you go about holding on to good customers like yourself? (They’ll tell you.)
Keep ’em Talking
Did you notice? These are all open-ended questions designed to get and keep the customer talking. Remember, your role as a salesperson is to ask good questions and listen to the answers. Make sure the customer is talking more than you are. When you allow your customer to speak they feel cared about. That’s the feeling you want engender to keep customer relationships fresh.
What Can You Do Right Now To Keep Customer Relationships Fresh?
- Make a plan to regularly call your best customers
- Call to thank them for their business
- Ask questions which lead you to understand how to keep the customer relationship fresh
To learn more, see Chapter 22, Customer Management, in Secrets of the Softer Side of Selling. For even more sales help, join our FREE Sales Club! “See” you next week.