Are all of your customers the “Best Customers”? Of course not! If you have a typical sales territory, a few customers provide most of your business. And you devote most of your selling time to them, right?
Who Are Your Best Customers?
Take a look back over the recent 12 months. Which customers have given you the most business? If you sell business to business generally you have a small number of best customers in your territory. These are companies where you have built a mutually beneficial, long-term relationship. I call this my “A” list.
All the “A” list customers have traits in common. For example when I sold custom fabricated architectural metal work to construction companies, the best customers:
- Had branch offices in major metropolitan areas,
- Focused on large custom designed projects,
- Worked with architects who included high end metal work in their projects,
- Appreciated high quality and attentive service,
- Would negotiate price and
- Paid on time.